Location: Bay Area, CA
Position: Full time
StimScience is a startup with a mission to translate advances in neuroscience into everyday consumer devices. Our science team has spent the past 2+ years pioneering applications of non-invasive, personalized brain stimulation. With seed funding from Khosla Ventures, we are building a team to launch the initial product of this breakthrough research - the first consumer device to help your brain to naturally achieve a longer, higher-quality night’s sleep.
Our science team consists of academic and medical experts in sleep, stimulation, neuroscience, and modeling. We are now looking for a talented individual to accelerate our data analytics, modeling, and reporting efforts. We are launching a large pilot to collect large data sets across demography and protocols – and in this role, the individual will be responsible for laying out the framework, the methods and models for building learning models and algorithms to generate the consumer focused metrics and sleep tracking models.
This position is “office optional”. You can do this job remotely with infrequent office visits, but if you prefer an office environment, we’ve got a fantastic office and sleep lab in downtown Berkeley.
- Architect the data analysis and learning framework for scalable modeling and measurements and interpretation of data – working with structured and unstructured data.
- Transfer data into analysis appropriate formats
- Develop deep dive analysis and machine learnings models of sleep and sleep scoring.
- Conduct exploratory analysis for developing consumer reportable metrics of sleep performance.
- Assist in designing and analyzing experiments to create a rich database of performance and demographic data.
- Work with the cloud data management and analytic teams for establishing a continual learning model of improving our algorithms and measures.
- Build tools for automation of data collation, analysis, and reporting.
- Ph.D. in data science, machine learning, computer science, statistics or informatics (or equivalent experience)
- 3+ years of data science and machine learning experience
- Extensive Modeling and Machine Learning background with actual application experience
- Experience with manipulating large scale structure and unstructured data
- Experience with common data science toolkits and statistics
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work cross-functionally across teams
- Strong documentation skills
- Demonstrated independent operation/development skills
- Experience implementing scalable analytical systems for the cloud
- Programming background with experience in Matlab, R, Python
- Bio-signal processing
Who we look for
As an early stage startup, we have a lot to offer, but we recognize that we might not be a perfect fit for everyone.
You will fit in well at StimScience if…
- You love to learn. We encourage everyone on the team to stretch beyond their roles and develop skills in new areas, and we provide everyone with visibility into all aspects of our science and our business.
- You are a challenge-seeker. Not only are we creating a new-to-the-world consumer device and service, we are inventing a fundamentally new way of interacting with the brain. While we are not cavalier about the risks, we are motivated by the level of difficulty inherent in our business.
- You are passionate about how neuroscience can improve peoples’ lives. Our team has founded successful neuroscience companies and includes truly world-class brain researchers. You don’t need to be a neuroscientist to fit in here, but you should find it interesting.
You might not be a great fit if…
- You crave structure. We are a small team with tons to figure out. We’ll offer you plenty of mentorship and collaboration, but you’ll need to set your own direction.
- You believe in ‘fake it til you make it’. We definitely have a bias for action, but we also recognize the responsibility that comes with products that customers rely on to improve their health. That means we make extra sure the science is sound and the product is worthy of customer trust before we ship.